Nakau Ei, member of the International Ukiyo-e Society, takes us on a phantasmagoric journey through the universe of superheroes that populate the world of Japanese woodcuts, the wonderful prints printed on wooden matrices that were the privileged means of expression of a particular artistic production of the Edo era (1603-1868): ukiyoe, the "images of the floating world".
Of these prints, those depicting ancient samurai express an unquenchable desire for strength and beauty, pulsing with an authentic romantic passion aimed at the brave men who fought in the most turbulent periods of Japanese history. The legendary heroes, the gallant nobles and the warlike samurai who populate the legends of the Japanese people, in oral narration as in the most famous novels, take turns on the scene
of this extraordinary volume engaged in breathtaking feats and events: from the adventures of Kintarō and Momotarō (the childhood idols of every Japanese), which delight the heart, to the dramatic adventures of Minamoto no Tametomo, from the epic fights of the famous sword master Miyamoto Musashi to the genius of the famous warrior Minamoto no Yoshitsune and to the magnificence of great military leaders such as Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu.
- Illustrations by the most famous ukiyoe artists: Hokusai, Hiroshige, Kuniyoshi, Yoshitoshi and many others
- From the unbridled imagination of these woodcut masters, a fantastic world and images of overwhelming beauty
- Romantic adventures and dramatic events, legendary heroes and great commanders illustrated in all their vigor and power
- Amazing scenes with bright colors, intense, dynamic and vibrant compositions
- Stories and legends taken from the tradition of oral tales and from the very rich repertoire of popular novels and kabuki theatre
- The perfect reference book for tattoo lovers and tattoo artists
23 × 31 cm
HARDCOVER WITH CANVAS
ISBN 978 2 88935 984 4